Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's the difference between superman and superparent...

We LOVE this article by Parenting Bliss. Here is an excerpt:

All kids get sick, all kids get hurt and all kids receive insults and disappointments. They are better served when we try to teach them how to live in a world that has many challenges, than pretend life is all cushions and pillows.

The ultimate point here is that for sure we should try to protect our children, but they also need personal challenges in order to grow.

It’s the difference between superman and superparent. As much as we would like to remake the world with no rough edges or nasty people – it just isn’t so, nor remotely possible. However, some parents don’t want to believe it -- they think they have figured out how to make it so no one gets sick or says a mean word, so they play superman sweeping in to save the day.

*******

My mom called this the "fishing line" effect. She would cast out the fishing line and let us pull it out (testing the waters) but when she thought she needed to reel it in, she would, but very slowly. Her hope was that we would learn a little through that process.

I don't know how I'll react when Lucas starts to test more dangerous waters. I hope I can use that fishing line effect, but right now I feel like I have to play superman and over-protect. I know my husband tends to disagree. But if I can avoid some extra scrapes and bruises... well then, I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment