Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Chance Encounter with a Sept. 11th Superhero


I make it a point to walk down different streets in NYC when I'm heading home. Two days ago, a friend and I walked west on 30th street, and ran into the amazing building of New York Police Department's Traffic Control Division, 23rd Precinct (between 6/7th Ave). As I snapped this quick i-phone picture, a police officer walked over to us.

The officer knew the building's history and told us that it has been a NYPD property since it was built in 1907. He mentioned that he was standing outside because the interior was hard to keep cool and he was uncomfortable from the heat. He had just returned back to work after a battle with colon cancer, which doctors believe was caused by September 11th. And there it was, a chance encounter with a real-life superhero of 9/11. What an amazing coincidence just two days away from the anniversary.

This officer was a chatterbox and had such great spirit! He was funny, sarcastic (of course!) and above all else, grateful. He told us how blessed he was that he's been able to see his children grow up. He has good medical coverage which allows him to battle through his illness. He loves his job and was so glad to be back. After about a 10 minute chat, we moved on. Before doing so, we thanked him for his sacrifice on 9/11, wished him the best with his battle and continued on.

The officer mentioned that he is 30 years old, which means he was just a rookie at the time of the attacks. In his young life he has already survived 9/11 and (hopefully) his battle against cancer. Moments like that, people like that, become a part of me and I am so grateful for them...

... they make me close my eyes and whisper 'thank you' for all I have.

... they remind me that America is full of superheroes that survived 9/11. Some of their battles continue but they feel blessed that they can keep on fighting. Amazing.

... I take a moment to remember and pray for the friends or friend's family members that passed on that day. I say thank you again, for the fact that I stayed home from work that day, and that all my neighbors came home.

... and above all else I know that these are the superheroes that I want my son to meet someday and thank for keeping New York and America safe.

1 comment:

  1. I was definitely inspired by the officer's personal story. Though I did not live in NYC at that time, the events of that day are seared in my memory. I still find 9/11 to be a solemn day, and the officer himself was an inspiration and reminder of the long-lasting impact that 9/11 has had on so many. Thanks for writing this, and I echo your sentiment, thanking all the superheroes that keep us safe!

    ReplyDelete