Sunday, November 14, 2010

1st Birthday Cake Drama - Did You Just Ask Me That?


That's Right. My husband went to pick up our son's FIRST BIRTHDAY CAKE and the bakery simply said it 'aint here'. Here is a quick transcript of one of those moments that you know is going to be funny LATER. Thirty minutes before the official start time of our meticulously planned party? Not so funny. I spent HOURS making lists, creating slide shows, movies and wall collages... and THIS is what I ended up having to deal with?! Of course!

Husband: Mar, they can't find our cake. Are you sure you ordered it here?

Wife: Did you JUST ASK ME THAT? Did I order our son's first birthday cake from the same place we've been getting cakes for years? #$%&% YES.

Wife: Are you at the right place; Or is this your hangover at work?
.....Insiders note: husband decided late night (very late night) at Dave Matthew's Concert the night before our party was 'just fine'.

Husband: Well don't freak, but well, they said they 'aint got it'. Now what?

Wife: I will call.

After 6 minutes and 42 seconds on hold and then being 'accidentally' disconnected, twice!:
Wife: Hi, my son's first birthday party starts in 45 minutes and.... (told them story)

Baker: Are you trying to order a cake or pick up a cake?

Wife: Okay, I will repeat the story (slower).

Baker: So if you already know we can't find your cake, why are you calling?

Wife (trying not to yell, knowing that if situation got nasty, there would be no cake at all):
Did you just ask me that? Look, I am trying to stay calm, but you need to understand that my baby's first birthday party starts shortly and I need a cake. I ordered a plain, white cake - whipped cream, strawberries. Nothing written on it, no decorations. I just need any cake (mentally, I said %#%&$ cake... but you knew that already).

Baker: oh, so you want us to make you another one? Not sure we can, let me check.

Wife: I don't care if you have to take a shoebox and put whipped cream on it - I need a white, plain sheet cake for my son's first birthday. I am having it decorated at the house, and I need it here very soon.

....... Insiders Note: Fact is that I am lucky enough to have an expert stylist that lives in my building. Sweet Dani B can make dirt look like art work. So I figured that worst case scenario, she could take her design idea for the cake and put it on a shoebox. Not kidding. That was my back up plan. I had already called her to warn her about our 'situation'.
Baker: Looks like we have a cake available. Send your husband back in 10 minutes. We are so sorry we misplaced your order, we won't charge you for it.

Wife: You can charge me what you want, or not charge me at all. Just get me something that looks like a cake, soon.

Baker: What would you like written on it?

Wife: (Deeeep breath) I need a PLAIN, WHITE CAKE. Now. Pretty please (clenched teeth).

Long story short - the cake was practically still frozen when it arrived, but they came through. We had no idea what it was made of, but as you can see from our amazing picture, our dear friend and amazing designer Dani B (www.sweetdanib.com) did her magic as planned, and Lucas had an amazing first birthday cake. Husband did a great job of talking me off the ledge.

Lesson: make sure the cake is the FIRST thing you pick up just in case a shoebox with whipped cream is the only cake your baby's going to get! Would I really have done that? Really - did you just ask me that? ;-) More about the party soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment